16 Oct 2024 22:16:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Dec 2007 21:36:04
Message: <47576014$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> Joel Yliluoma wrote:
>>> Saying that he is malevolent because of that is just ignorant,
>>> and neglects the possibility that God's reasoning can be
>>> something no human can even comprehend.
>
>> Sorry. We've eaten of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. The only
>> difference between us and God is that we haven't eaten from the Tree of
>> Eternal Life.
>
>   This gives us the same reasoning powers as God has. Right.

No, it gives us the same ability to deduce what is good and what is evil
as god has.  That's what he said in the garden.  Read your bible.

To say "Starving babies isn't *really* evil, because God has a plan" is
a cop-out, if it's possible to determine on your own what is *really* evil.

>   I have to say, you usually act all scientifical and logical, but it seems
> that when your motivation is to attack religion, you put logical thinking
> to the side and use whatever convoluted argument you can come up with (or
> which you have read somewhere) regardless of how logical or relevant it is,
> just for the sake of argument.

Well, using logical scientific arguments to talk about religion DOESN'T
WORK. They tried that. talk.origins, for example. Yet the ID people keep
on trying, right?

You can make a scientific debate about whether evolution is true. You
can't make a scientific logical debate about how much God knows. If Joel
can assert that the reason evil exists is because God knows it's good
for us, then I can assert that we know what's good for ourselves,
without having to make a logical argument beyond citing the Bible (which
I not Joel didn't even do).

I mean, how the heck does Joel know what God is thinking better than I
do? How come when Joel tells me that I don't understand, I don't get to
point out the parts of the Bible where God says yes, I *do* understand.
Isn't that logical?

>   Of course I'm not surprised. The vast majority of people who otherwise
> are logical and rational become irrationally fanatic when the topic is
> religion.

Well, sure, because if everyone was logical and scientific in a
discussion, there wouldn't be any religion being discussed. Religion is
based on faith, which isn't science or logic. It's not really possible
to discuss religion with a religious person and stay logical and
scientific about it.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it